Saturday, February 24, 2018

Etrian Odyssey V

I’m writing my review of Etrian Odyssey V from my iPhone. The community laptop was having trouble with Blogger.

The official website is at www.atlus.com/etrian5

Anyway this game was awesome and it seems like it was a labor of love by the developers. The labyrinth is quite amazing this time around. The character classes are a good lineup and the user interface is polished and improved.

I like the food system in game. Party characters can cook and eat roasted meat and fish, grilled apples, eggs in a basket, honey, milk, wheat, potato stew, and pancakes. Some restore HP while others restore TP. Ultimately it is often best to return to town and rest at the inn, unless you want to fight just one more encounter.

The equipment system returns as usual, but you can also forge more stats onto a weapon if you have the right materials. Then later they can be recycled for shards and ingots. I’m in the post game and at this point, I need to look up the conditional drops to get the best gear in the game.

One complaint I have is that random battles don’t give that much character experience. There is a downloadable quest that I paid for, which is easy to complete and gives loads of experience, but I shouldn’t really have to pay to level up. It is what it is, I guess.

Party building kept me busy for several months as I explored the lower levels of Yggdrasil. Overall it was a streamlined, personal journey from start to finish. I give the game a good score though, basically a 10 out of 10.

Tomorrow is my birthday and I’m going to celebrate by getting some new games: Persona Q, which is like an Etrian Odyssey game with Persona 3 & 4 characters; and Etrian Mystery Dungeon, a mystery dungeon with an Etrian spin on it.

Besides that, I’m playing EO Untold and never finished 2 Untold, so that will keep me busy gaming for a while. For what it’s worth, I played EOV on Advanced difficulty up until the post game, but I’m playing Untold on the middle difficulty.

And in case somebody is reading this looking for role playing game recommendations, last year I played through Legend of Legacy about 9 times and 7th Dragon III: Code VFD once.